Funding supports a diversity-focused scholarship in one of UC Davis’ most distinguished fields – Brewing
Brewing is one of the world’s most historic, dynamic and diverse cultural traditions. But according to a recent survey by the Brewers Association, more than 93% of U.S. craft brewery owners are Caucasian, and more than 75% are male. This lack of minority representation limits the experiences, creativity and economic opportunities reflected in the beer we drink. This is a systemic issue that the industry recognizes and is working to address, and by educating a more diverse pool of future brewers, UC Davis will be part of the solution.
The UC Davis Online Master Brewers Certificate Program, one of the world’s most prestigious professional brewing programs, seeks $16,000 to fund a full scholarship to increase diversity in the industry. This online program gives students around the world access to the incredible expertise of UC Davis brewing. The scholarship covers all tuition, books and materials and admission to an in-person bootcamp (pending the student’s availability).
The scholarship will be available to students who are committed to diversity, have experience and/or understanding of the barriers traditionally faced by people historically underrepresented in the brewing industry, and demonstrate a high potential for leadership in promoting cross-cultural understanding.
By supporting this campaign, you are giving a student the opportunity to:
- Learn how to manage all aspects of a world-class professional brewing operation, from ingredient selection to fermentation to bottling
- Design a brewery, including equipment selection, installation and evaluation of production processes
- Learn from (and be mentored by) the world’s most knowledgeable brewing instructors – the faculty of UC Davis!
- Network with acknowledged experts, brewery owners and the future leaders of the industry - their peers
- Launch their career as a brewer (graduates of this program are highly sought by breweries)
- Tap the Potential – Inspire the next generation of brewers by sharing their knowledge and experience as they move forward in their career
Donations above the needed amount will be used to fund partial scholarships or be added to the Mark E. Ruedrich North Coast Brewing Diversity Scholarship, an endowment established by North Coast Brewing Company and UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education to support diversity, education and opportunity in the brewing industry in perpetuity.
Changing an industry takes time, but education and the lifetime of opportunities it represents is the first step. By contributing to this fund, you will have a lasting, positive impact on both a person and the industry we are all so passionate about.
For more information, contact Melissa Marbach, Associate Director – Brewing Sciences, UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education.